Thursday 20 November 2014

RUNNING - The Foot Setback

Eugh, it was all going so well.

I was smashing out runs at speeds I could only have dreamed of even weeks ago and still wasn't feeling like I had pushed myself, I was right at the top of what I have been able to do.

Then, well, then came the tiniest mistake: a barefoot clump of my right foot on the bed. I hopped about for a bit clutching my foot in the way you do when its night time and you don't want to make a fuss then when it settled got back in bed and fell straight back to sleep.

The morning was sore, I'd been to the pub the night before so there was a couple of seconds where I wondered why my toe hurt before I remembered what had happened. My self diagnosis a mere few seconds after waking and without an examination from even me let alone a trained professional I was pretty sure I'd broken my little toe. This was, of course, the end of the world and something I mentioned over and over all day to anyone that cared to listen but by early afternoon it felt OK. Not good, just OK.
I convinced myself that its only the little toe which does nothing anyway so got ready and went out for a run. I managed the 5k but after the first kilometre every time my foot hit the ground it was feeling increasingly like someone was stinging on the top of my foot, it wasn't the toe that was causing the problem at all.

I came home, declared I had broken a metatarsal (Google decided for me when I asked on the limp home) and readied myself for the 8 weeks of no running I was just about to face.

That might not seem long to you, as a non runner or even if you are but it really is for me. I have nearly gone two days without running since I took up the sport and I feel exactly the same knotted feeling and drive to run as I would have had when craving my next cigarette back in the day.

So after resting well, by which I mean the Friday of the same week, I ran again. 10k this time and a decent time I got too, even though it hurt a bit it was OK but the following few days were agony!

I sit here on the Thursday night, its not even been a week since I ran and it feels like a lifetime!

Ive been to the doctor now, more on that next time :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment